Tuesday 10 January 2012

Death - It really can happen at anytime

I certainly don't wish to be the bearer of bad news as we enter 2012 as generally people are trying to feel positive about the year ahead still sticking to their New Year resolutions etc. However what I am about to say isn't anything new.

I am sorry to break it to you but we are all going to die. We don't know how or when but trust me it is going to happen. I hope it doesn't happen for years and years and years and like you I want to see my children grown up and perhaps even meet my grandchildren.


However, as we all know there are no guarantees in life well apart from two; death and taxes.

I meet a lovely lady today who wishes to get her Will done because she unfortunately lost her husband 3 months ago. He caught a virus and 11 days later he was dead - just like that. I was a little taken back as she was probably a couple of years older than me (~34), her husband was 36 and left her and their 6 year old daughter.  Luckily he had a Will so thankfully at least the practical side of things is simple to sort out.

A recent survey from Brewin Dolphin (investment manager) found that 63% of people did not have a Will and those surveyed blamed a lack of time, being too young or not having enough money....sound familiar??

A will doesn't take too much time to draw up...perhaps a hour of your time, the above story proves that you are never too young and as for expense we charge £100 for a Single Will and £180 for a Mirror Will - that's not too expensive is it?

You never know when death is going to occur but for goodness sake be prepared and organised. Stick to one of your New Year Resolutions and make your Will to ensure those around you are financially looked after and guardians appointed for your children.

Sorry for my rant but I do feel so strongly about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment